US blocks UN resolution on coronavirus ceasefire after China pushes WHO mention

The United States rejected any reference to the WHO in the resolution, and also rejected an alternative that did not explicitly name the organization – citing the UN's "specialized health agencies," two diplomatic sources told CNN. UN diplomats were surprised by US efforts to block voting on Friday. The effort they had been working on for more than six weeks stopped screaming, and they fear it will not be revived.

"This discussion has been taken hostage as questions that have nothing to do with the real questions. Instead, it has been turned into a US-China battle," said one diplomat UN Security Council told CNN. "We're back to that one."

Similarly, the United States has blocked the expression of global unity at G7 and G20 meetings due to anger over China and WHO.

Advertisement
Last month, President Donald Trump stopped funding for WHO for its "role in severe bug management and coverage of the spread of coronavirus." The Department of Foreign Affairs and the US Agency for International Development are now redirecting funds to the pandemic to various health organizations.

China had called for the resolution to include reference to the WHO's efforts, which led to rejection by the United States.

Many times, Trump has praised China's handling of the coronavirus pandemic

A foreign ministry spokeswoman said the Trump administration wants the UNSC to call for a global ceasefire, but said China stifled its efforts to succeed.

"In our view, the goal should be to support the Secretary-General's call for a global ceasefire. Unfortunately, China has been determined to use this resolution to promote false narratives of its response to the COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan," said a spokesman. "In our view, the Council should either proceed with a resolution that is limited to ceasefire support, or an expanded resolution that fully addresses the need for renewed member state commitment to transparency and accountability in the context of COVID-19."

Advertisement

The spokesman also said that China "repeatedly blocked compromises that would allow the council to move forward."

UN Secretary-General António Guterres has repeatedly called for a global ceasefire and renowned countries and non-governmental actors who have advocated for that pressure.
Obama says White House response to coronavirus has been & # 39; absolute chaotic disaster & # 39;
The gap between the US and China continues to grow as the US asks China to be transparent and provide more information to the world about the origin of the virus, and China claims that the US is telling lies about the origin of the virus. The Trump administration has been there the leading voice in criticizing how China handled the outbreak during the first few weeks.
State Department officials repeatedly point to the United States as the nation that has provided the most funding for the crisis internationally – to almost $ 6.5 billion in state and non-governmental contributions, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said earlier this week. Pompeo said the figure was more than 12 times the contributions China has made to the pandemic

Trump administration officials also say that if China had been more transparent early – which could potentially have prevented the new coronavirus from becoming a pandemic – life would have been saved.

Advertisement
Trump also trivialized the virus early and his administration has been criticized for an incoherent response to the pandemic, which has left his administration under fire.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *