In his first public interview since announcing historic fines for Astros last week, Manfred told Fox Business Network that the MLB would honor "baseball's long tradition of not trying to change what happened.
"I think the answer from our perspective is to be transparent about what the investigation has shown and to let our fans make their own decisions about what happened," said Manfred on Wednesday.
Manfred's comments came a day after the Los Angeles City Council unanimously passed a resolution urging the MLB to withdraw the 2017 Astros and 2018 Red Sox championships and award them to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Manfred and MLB confirmed on January 13 that Astros illegally used the technology to steal signals from opponents during the 2017 regular season and the postseason. Penalties included season-long suspensions for general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch, the loss of four teams in the first two rounds and a $ 5 million fine.
The MLB is still investigating claims that the Red Sox 2018 also used the technology to steal signals from opponents.
"We have not completed our investigation with the Red Sox," said Manfred. "So it is a little difficult to take the trophy from someone who has not yet been found to do something wrong. We don't know what the result will be."
The Dodgers lost to the 2017 Astros and the 2018 Red Sox in the fall classic, but Manfred said that, regardless of signal theft, it is "absolutely clear that the Dodgers would have been the World Series champions".
Manfred also noted that Luhnow, Hinch, former Red Sox manager Alex Cora and former Mets manager Carlos Beltran "lost their jobs because of this" and emphasized that last week's penalties "will serve as a deterrent to this behavior going forward. ".