Lesotho, the last African country not to have been affected by the coronavirus, announced on Wednesday that it had detected its first case of COVID-19.
The virus was detected in an individual among 81 people who were tested after arriving from Saudi Arabia and neighboring South Africa last week, the Ministry of Health said in a statement.
"The Ministry of Health informs the Basotho nation and the entire community living in Lesotho that the country now has the first confirmed case of COVI-19," said Director-General Dr. Nyane Letsie.
The patient is a Lesotho national and studies in Saudi Arabia.
Lesotho went into confinement on March 29 to protect itself from a possible spread of the South African virus, which surrounds the entire kingdom and has the largest number of confirmed cases on the continent.
Prime Minister Thomas Thabane eased restrictions on May 6, allowing "all non-essential services and companies" to temporarily open stores.
South Africa has 11,350 confirmed cases and 206 deaths.