The World Health Organization (WHO) on Sunday alerted Nigeria and other member countries to be ready to deal with the possible outbreak of coronavirus in their territories.
In a statement on Sunday, WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said that nearly 2,000 cases have been confirmed since the disease originated in China last month.
The death toll from infectious disease reaches 56 worldwide.
He noted that the virus has spread to the United States, Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Australia, France and Canada; and called for the timely detection and management of any outbreak, especially in Africa.
Jasarevic said: “WHO's risk assessment for the new coronavirus has not changed.
“The risk of spreading the infection is very high in China. It is high at the regional level and moderate at the global level.
“However, it is expected that more international case exports can appear in any country, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa.
"Thus, all countries must be prepared for containment, including active surveillance, early detection, isolation and case management, contact tracking and preventing the progressive spread of infection by 2019-nCoV and sharing complete data with WHO."
The United Nations agency maintained that the first confirmed cases of the disease in Europe were not unexpected.
“They point out that the global nature of travel does not exempt any country from spreading infectious diseases.
"It also means that no country can postpone the establishment of all necessary measures to protect its people," he said.
WHO He added that the members of his International Health Regulatory Emergency Committee agreed on the urgency of the situation and will meet in a matter of days to further examine the situation.
Join the conversation