By AbdulGafar Alabelewe, Kaduna
At least 17 people were killed by gunmen in the village of Gonan-Rogo, Kufana district, Kajuru. Local government area of Kaduna state.
In another development, armed men suspected of kidnappers kidnapped two people during a night attack on the village of Sabon-Jero, in the city of New Millennium, under the local government of Chikun.
The killings took place in the early hours of Tuesday, when fully armed bandits invaded the village of Gonan-Rogo, setting houses on fire while residents rushed into the bush.
The president of the Adara Development Association (ADA), Awema Maisamari, who confirmed the incident to our correspondent in an interview on Tuesday, said that the bandits who came to the village in large numbers were armed with weapons, machetes and knives.
Maisamari said some of the residents were killed with weapons while others were cut with machetes. “The attackers invaded the community at around 1 am on Tuesday and started shooting sporadically, killing people.
“Twelve people were killed on the spot, while the bodies of five others were recovered in the bush. Some have suffered injuries.
“Some were killed with a machete, others were shot. Some houses were burned. Some of those who escaped into the bush are still missing.
“About two hours after the bandits ran away, security personnel who ran a checkpoint not far from the community arrived. But they didn't enter the community, they just stayed on the main road ”. He narrated.
Speaking about the kidnapping incident, Adamu Murtala, a member of the Sabon-Jero community, said the kidnappers invaded the village at about 9.40 pm and broke into a house, kidnapping a housewife and her younger sister.
According to Murtala, “the kidnappers attacked the house because its owner was not at home. Only his wife, younger sister and children were at home. Then, they invaded and kidnapped the woman and her younger sister.
“The soldiers arrived at the scene, but the armed men had already kidnapped the two victims and, because there were many, they managed to escape with the victims.
Meanwhile, at the time of submitting this report, the PPRO of the Kaduna State Police Command, ASP Mohammed Jalige, said that the Command was working on a press release on the murders.